新加坡狮城论坛

返回列表 发帖 付费广告

入乡随俗,英文不求人,每天学一点!

[复制链接]
发表于 4-10-2018 12:33:05|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
Who am I? 我是谁?
At a tea for officers and their wives, the commanding general of a base delivered a seemingly endless oration. A young lieutenant grumbled to the woman sitting beside him, “What a pompous and unbearable old windbag that slob is!” The woman turned to him, her face red with rage. “Excuse me, Lieutenant. Do you have any idea who I am?” “No, ma'am,” the man fumbled. “I am the wife of the man you just called an unbearable old windbag.” “Oh,” said the lieutenant. “And do you have any idea who I am?” “No,” said the general's wife. “Thank God,” said the lieutenant, getting up from his seat and disappearing into the crowd.
在一次军官和家属的茶话会上,基地的司令没完没了地发表着演说。一位年轻的中尉对坐在他旁边的女人嘟囔说:“这个老家伙啰嗦乏味、自以为是,真叫人不能容忍。”那个女人转过来,她的脸因生气而通红:“中尉,你知道我是谁吗?”小伙子说:“夫人,我不知道。”“我是那个你才说的啰嗦乏味、自以为是、叫人不能容忍的老家伙的太太。”中尉说:“哦,那你知道我是谁吗?”将军的夫人说:“不知道。”中尉说:“感谢上帝。”说完就从位置上站起来,消失在人群中。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 6-10-2018 13:29:06|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
小狮租房
Roaming Charges 漫游费
At the grocery store, I couldn't understand why free-range eggs were more expensive than ordinary eggs. “Well, sir, think of it as being like your cell phone,” explained the checkout clerk. “They get you with roaming charges.”
在杂货店里,我不懂为什么草鸡蛋比普通鸡蛋要贵。收银员解释说:“嗯,先生,你拿它比作你的手机来想。漫游是要加钱的。”

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 7-10-2018 11:29:59|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
My plan was to build a garden walkway made up of wooden squares. I decided I'd slice railroad ties into two-inch-thick pieces. That's what I told the clerk at the lumberyard. “You got a power saw?” he asked. “No,” I said. “Can't I just use my hand saw?” He nodded slowly. “You could. But I just have one question. How old do you want to be when you finish?”
我的计划是用木头方块铺一条花园走道。我决定要把铁路枕木锯成两寸厚的木块。我就是这样告诉木材场的职工的。他问:“你有电动锯吗?”我说:“没有。我不能用手工锯吗?”他慢慢地点头说:“你能用。不过我有一个问题:你准备多大年纪的时候完工?”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 8-10-2018 10:41:19|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 幸福象花儿一样 于 8-10-2018 10:43 编辑

be pleased to 乐意做某事
I am pleased toinvite you for dinner. 我很乐意邀请你共进晚餐。
He was pleased to gowith you. 他很乐意和你一起去。
used to be 过去曾经是
She used to be ajournalist. 她过去曾经是记者。
He used to be a chef.他曾经是一个厨师

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 9-10-2018 15:05:09|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
be unworthy of 不值得The bag is unwoothy of 1000 dollars.
这个包不值得1000美元。

be suitable for
适合于

He said he is not suitalbe for that job.
他说他不适合那份工作。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 10-10-2018 15:00:09|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
be bored with 感到厌烦Many people say they are bored with their life but dare not to change it.
很多人都说他们对现在的生活感到厌烦但是却不敢尝试改变。

blame for
责备,责怪

They were blamed for not spending enough time with their children.
人们责备他们没有和孩子相处足够的时间。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 11-10-2018 14:42:51|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 幸福象花儿一样 于 11-10-2018 14:44 编辑

give up 放弃
Thecompany found it would need 10 years to finish the project, so they give it up.
这家公司发现10年才能完成这个项目,所以他们放弃了。

resultin 导致,结果是
The storm resulted in aterrible traffic jam.
暴雨导致了交通大堵塞。

回复 支持 1 反对 0

使用道具 举报

发表于 15-10-2018 15:43:09|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 星烁 于 15-10-2018 15:44 编辑

亲,最近对英语习语感兴趣,有这方面的英语小句子吗?

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 19-10-2018 14:21:15|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
好的,我们来看看一些英语习语的小句子。

1.live from hand to mouth
收入勉强糊口,朝夕难保

We always lived from hand to mouth in those days .
那时候,我们总是过着朝不保夕的生活。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 24-10-2018 12:34:50|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
2.as free as a bird
无拘无束

I found the reasons for his decision to throw in the towel and become free as a bird compelling.
我发现了他认输的理由后,就再也无拘无束了。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员 新浪微博登陆

本版积分规则

联系客服 关注微信 下载APP 小程序 返回顶部 返回列表