新加坡狮城论坛

12下一页
返回列表 发帖 付费广告
查看: 1844|回复: 14

[原创]My 1st day in ED

[复制链接]
发表于 6-9-2004 19:07:22|来自: | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Since I have only 2 weeks’ attachment this semester, that’s OT (Operation Theater) and A&E(accident and emergency department), I look forward to it so long, because people have been kept telling me how fun it would be working there. But when I really came to the OT, things do not look that nice as expected. The room was freezing, which caused my legs painful from time to time, the staffs also look cold behind masks; People work mainly work with instruments instead of interacting with patients; And many more factors made my posting not that pleasant. But look at the bright side, I learnt a lot of things also. Btw, thanks to Madam Lee, she so understanding, patient, and help me a lot during the whole day in PACU…

Alright, too much talks on that. Let me come to my important part-experience at ED. it is the first time I came to A&E today. So actually before going there, I was anxious, too worried if I can cope with the work stress, and keep reminding myself not to panic no matter what. After all, it is emergency department; it requires very experienced skills, and speed. That is what I leant from lectures and books.

Things always go different between ideal theory and actual practice. In fact, I can function quite well then, help monitor patient, do ECG all the way. Working at screening station in the afternoon are even more fun for me, because I can meet up different faces, and various personalities, this is always my favorite of studying human natures. But in the last few 2 minutes before we could knock off, my mind seemed to float somewhere, as there were few clients coming down. However, all of a sudden, a guy’s loud hurrying voice took my attentions, “Where is ED? Where is ED? Hurry up! My arm keeps bleeding… …” . By the accent, I can tell he is a PRC. Double quickly going near to him, astonished, all the fresh blood around his arm down to hands, I was really nervous. “This is the top urgent case, I suppose.” So did not mind my fellow staff still busy filling out the forms, I urged him and his friend to go in to admission first, I can help with the rest. He panic because the fresh blood keeps flowing, and suspected vessels broken inside. He listened to me, running in for admission; meanwhile, I grabbed the forms, caught up with him, so that I can lead him the fastest way. But there were too many red tapes. They all take times, and killed people’s life in some situation. Perhaps I was too worked up, behaved kind of aggressively as well maybe, but I just could not help it. Eventually we arrived the triage area, my mind collapsed. Because there is NOBODY inside. The poor young man keep calling me, begging, “missy, can you ask them QUICK?! My blood vessels bursted you know, did you tell them my problems…” But he didnot even knew that i never seen any staff. I run about, prayed and hopefully can get one staff to do it for him. People are all doing their own business, but where is the staff who is supposed to do this duty?! If anything bad happened to him, who is going take the responsibilty?! It drove me crazy, I scolded one AN why not her staff not keep her informed where she is. One round, two round, I did not find anybody, and it would be so embarrassing to face up him.

So I left with deep pain and disappointment. But, other than that, what could i do? i am only a small student nurse...

Whew... i did not get relieved till now. Was the triage staff doing her job? Emergency department work means 24 hours standby, is not it???

"how is the man now? All my wishes...."

[em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48][em48]
发表于 6-9-2004 19:09:31|来自: | 显示全部楼层
小狮租房

晕倒。。贴错地方。。。。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 6-9-2004 19:08:54|来自: | 显示全部楼层
字太黑了
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 6-9-2004 19:08:33|来自: | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报