新加坡狮城论坛

返回列表 发帖 付费广告
查看: 6584|回复: 57

What do you think of "singlish"??

[复制链接]
发表于 12-9-2004 12:30:35|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
<P>Singapore is a multi-racial country, and that is why "singlish" came into being. "Singlish" is a local language which is english mixed with other languages like Malay and hokkien. It is understandable that Singaporeans prefer to speak "singlish" rather than proper english as in their mind, this is the way to distinguish themselves among the people in english-speaking countries. However, should we follow their way?? Even though i know that we should adapt to the local custom and culture, does it mean that we have to follow their language also? Sorry,i dont think so. Firstly, i am not singaporean; moreover, i want to speak good english and write in proper english. Anyway, this is my opinion only, no offense to "singlish" in fact.</P>
<P>What do you all think? Welcome for the discussion.</P>
[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-12 22:37:09编辑过]
发表于 12-9-2004 20:30:53|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
小狮租房
oops should be C'est La Vie...
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 12-9-2004 20:24:10|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>Well...*sey yern sup sam siu!! for many reasons that it's perfectly alright for the Singaporeans to speak Singlish. Firstly the Singaporeans created Singlish as, I think,  they want to have something in common so as to promote social integration and assimilation of ppl from different religions/races into the Singapore culture. Singlish well serves a "bridge" drawing ppl closer, so does our dialets. Singapore is a small nation but consisting of so many ethnic groups, by all means it has to maintain its social hamony in order to develop, espeically when the neighbouring political circumstance is not stable (and it's usually not stable). And Singlish is generally used by Singaporeans in daily life, which effectively promotes social unity. </P><P>Secondly, since Singapore is a tiny red dot on the map, the special Singlish makes it distinguished and unique and impressive (although it's a bit vague). But for most of us what comes into our mind when talking about Singapore is most of the time including Singlish...the unique and functional language that is convenient and familiar for the four races (coz they can find words derived from their own language/dialet). So, Singlish is one of the symbols of Singapore. No point to emiliate it. Still less, it's only used in Singapore what, not to mention the bigger SE Asia. </P><P>Thridly, I dont think it worths argueing if it's good or bad to speak Singlish as opposed to standard English. Even in the UK few ppl use standard English for all times, or ppl from other English-speaking countries. The major European countries also mixed their languages together long time ago and their vocabulary still being enhanced and expanding due to globalisation. It's ok that Singapore form it's own language system as long as it's understood by most of us. For example, when French say "cie'la Vie", the English will surely know the meaning. And many American slangs can explain that as well. What Im trying to point out is that even language itself is not fixed, but only has a basic standard. any country certainly has its right to shape its langage under different cultural backgrounds.</P><P>So I'll make it an open-ended question that it's very up 2 u to prefer whether to use Singlish.</P>
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 12-9-2004 22:13:58|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>Yes, I am "sup sam siew" here but no "sey yern" in front,please. Anyway, thanks for your reply.</P>
<P>At this very beginning, i would like to make it clear that the "singlish" mentioned refers to the way of speaking and the typing of words.</P>
<P>Well, here we go. As i said in my first posting, i do understand how much singaporeans feel "singlish" is improtant to them, so i am quite comfortable that they speak their own language which is common among themselves.</P>
<P>However, here comes my question. Since we are not singaporeans, should we follow their way then? It is fine if we speak "singlish" in order to follow  the local custom and culture, but nowadays, i find that quite a few of chinese from china here are trying to imitate "singlish" so as not to be looked down upon by singaporeans. I am wondering whether it is really a shame that we speak standard english in singapore, otherwise, why are so many of us pretending to be fake singaporeans?</P>
<P>Anyway, please be aware that english is an international language; however, "singlish" isn't. Once you get into the habit of speaking "singlish", it is hard to change any more. Consequently, when you visit a real english-speaking country one day, confusion and misunderstanding will arise.</P>
[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-12 22:39:32编辑过]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 13-9-2004 02:37:16|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P><FONT size=3>sey yern tau, seh gum dor tot ah....i find it interesting that <EM>"quite a few of chinese from china here are trying to imitate "singlish" so as not to be looked down upon by singaporeans". </EM>If the number is just a few we can leave the problem aside. I've seen the same phenomenon before and am exactly the case personally. But speaking singlish or mimicking local ppl doesnt mean that one's ashamed of speaking standard English or being squeezed out, since u assumed only a handful of Chinese have this attitude. We change our accent and way of speaking towards local ppl actually because we are influenced by them, unless we dont want to deal with them. From my experience most Singaporeans no longer use Singlish abroad. </FONT></P><P><FONT size=3> </FONT></P><P><FONT size=3>Many ppl think that Singaporeans dont have a high standard of their official language. However educated ppl do master the language, just that they prefer the more casual Singlish occasionally. Other ppl who use Singlish mostly are likely to be the uneducated, of which the population is much smaller now. The question is simply like asking whether to learn cantonese mandarin. U r right that It'd be betther that we dont 东施效颦. If u r going to stay and deal with the Singaporeans knowing Singlish will benefit u; on the contrary then go head learning the standard one. The attitude behind this decision is most important.</FONT></P>
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 13-9-2004 09:07:12|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>Don't type so many cantonese words, please. Not everyone here is cantonese, how can they understand your words? Even though my friend, who is cantonese, also asked me what you were talking about. To make it understood, please type formal english, thanks for your kind understanding.</P>
<P>Actually my comment is not so long as yours in your first posting, how dare you still complain mine is too long??Besides, mine is just up to the point only, isn't it?</P>
<P>Ok, back to the topic. Please take note that i didnt mean "A few of chinese....."  only but "Quite a few of chinese..." which means quite a number of them here are doing so, and that is why i have that comment. </P>
<P>Yes, you are right that the attitude behind is crucial, but unluckily, i find that there is something wrong with their attitude, really. We should have our own style, just like what singaporeans do, then why do we need to change ours purposely, just in order to shorten the gap inbetween? Anyway, we are not copycats.</P>
[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-13 9:14:13编辑过]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 13-9-2004 13:13:07|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>tsin kak....kwang dong yern yat ding tyte tuk ming ngor kong D mut!!! If u mean "a number of ppl having this attitude" then u make it clearly to me mah....If u r not among them and want to be independent why bothered to be concerned with them. If u imply that ppl who purposely change their daily habit feel interior about their original nationality or intend to flatter the local ppl, I feel pathetic about them. Never the less I'd rather regard it as their way to merge into the society and also to be recognized and admitted or to demand for equal treatment because they are of the minority group, as the saying goes "do what Romans do". Nothing's wrong with it. </P><P>Since u r a student. U r not sure what to do after study. I'll suggest that u learn standard English instead of singlish. But again it's alright to use singlish in singapore</P>
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 13-9-2004 15:03:00|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>I did make my comment clear enough, and it is only you who didnt read it carefully----it is "quite a few" but not "a few" only.</P>
<P>Anyway, i suggest those, who are not staying in singapore permanently, should not take "singlish" so seriously,which is good for their future benefit.</P>
[此贴子已经被作者于2004-9-13 15:05:34编辑过]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 13-9-2004 17:42:09|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>Singlish is a unique culture for sg, which is well-known i suppose. As my canada friend said he felt quite funny when talking to a singapore girl, who was ever in the same touring team with him.. He mentioned, "the way singaporean are speaking english is like mixing a bit of chinese accent...." true?.. hee</P><P>I am not a singaporen, too. but dun mind so much, do as the romans do... </P><P>and btw, whats proper english? can you say whether it is supposed to be "american" or "british"? and do u think every westerners are speaking the PROPER english? obviously no, they are from different areas, with their native accents, sometimes i do find it hard to understand some of them, such as my psycho lecturer, she admit that her accent is kind of funny, thus we are suggested to read more from the text book rather than just listening in lecture, to get better understanding of the lecture contents...</P><P>So, to sum up, i dun mind much about that, as long as we can interact and communiate effectively, enough....</P>
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 15-9-2004 01:42:27|来自:新加坡 | 显示全部楼层
<P>I don't like Singalish at all... not standard one</P><P>I think it influenced by the Chinese accent. </P><P>So,its very easy spoken by chinese people:-)</P>[em08][em08][em08][em08][em08][em08][em08][em08][em08]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员 新浪微博登陆

本版积分规则

联系客服 关注微信 下载APP 小程序 返回顶部 返回列表